A Fable of Two Hearts is the bonus gameplay content included in the Collector's Edition of The Swan Princess and the Dire Tree. In it we play as Odette, who is seeking to defend her kingdom from a series of Harpy attacks.
Once upon a time there lived another Swan Princess, one who had the difficult task of defending her kingdom from the most savage of beasts.
Princess Odette was but a young girl, naive and unspoiled by the hardships of the world. Most importantly, she had never experienced the feeling called love.
This is a story of how one Princess took it upon herself to save her kingdom, and in the process break her oath to the Goddess.
But she did not do so out of hate, nor envy. No, this Swan Princess did it out of the purest, strongest love.
And, so it came to pass that Odette defeated the Harpy Queen and the Traitor of the Guard, while learning the ominous truth about the Harpies. These creatures were sworn to Goddess Flora, yet their beastly instincts conquered their nature. Thus they turned into unruly beasts.
Odette also saw the fulfillment of the Druid's prophecy. With a simple kiss the Frog turned into a Prince - love was born at first sight.
The emotion was so profound that Odette was ready to relinquish her duty as the leader of the Swan Guard. Seeking love above the call of duty, Odette knew that her destiny was elsewhere.
The Child by the Lake
Long ago, a baby was left on the banks of Swan Lake, wrapped in a blanket. She neither cried nor laughed, but quietly stared at the soft waves blown by the icy wind. She remained there until she was found by a carpenter's wife. She immediately brought the child home to her husband. The couple could not have children of their own, so the baby was joyously welcomed as a gift from the Goddess. As soon as the baby could walk on her own, she started visiting that same spot at the lake where she was found. "She wants her real mother," concluded the wife. "No," said the carpenter, "she is in love with the water." Odette was a child who loved life and believed in the goodness of the universe. She grew up to become a charming Princess who had a deep and mystical connection to the lake and its inhabitants. It was there at that very lake that a small, unexceptional amphibian would first set eyes upon her beauty.
Far From Home
The enchanted frog's curse was lifted by a kiss from the Swan Princess, who stood in amazement as she watched a hideous frog transform into a beautiful Prince. It wouldn't be long before the two fell in love, leaving Odette hesitant about her next step. The two parted for a short time, corresponding only through letters. But Odette had never denied her feelings, and would not do so for long. She announced her decision to wed the ex-frog Prince James to the Swan Guard, who in turn have exiled her from the Swan Kingdom. Odette spent a happy couple of years with Prince James, but being so far away from Swan Lake had taken its toll. She started to age rapidly, growing thinner and paler until she finally succumbed to illness. Without her by his side, Prince James reverted to his amphibian state, and mourned her for many years. He built a small lake next to her shrine, so that at least in death she could be reunited with her greatest love.
- The protagonist of this game, Princess Odette, was referenced to in both The Exiled Prince and The Swan Princess and the Dire Tree.
- The Druid is seen here as a young woman. She also plays a role in The Swan Princess and the Dire Tree, where she is seen as an old woman. Her owl familiar remains the same in both cases.
- The frog given to Princess Odette is actually Prince James in his cursed frog form.
- Ewan the Craftsman is seen here as a young man. He also plays a role in Goldilocks and the Fallen Star, and his work is seen in Queen of Sands and The Swan Princess and the Dire Tree.
- Flow, the Old Man of Stone, also plays a role in The Swan Princess and the Dire Tree.
- The Harpies and the defeat they suffer here at the hands of Princess Odette are both mentioned in the main game, The Swan Princess and the Dire Tree.
- The Swan Guard is also seen in the main game, The Swan Princess and the Dire Tree.
- Some of the events of The Swan Princess and the Dire Tree are shown to Princess Odette in the Druid's scrying pool.